Saturday, August 18, 2012

Vanity Part II

Well, the process has started. 1st I neede to take it all apart.  There are more piceses than I thought.  That's ok... I just hope I know how to put it back together!


I actually enjoy this part.  Just gently pounding out the slightly loose nails.  Most of this was held together with nails.  The only screws were located on the back to hold the mirror in place.  There was some old glue along the inside cabinet part that helped hold the center piece in place.  It pulled the veneer off when it was removed, but since it would be covered again when back together, I was not concerned.  I used wood filler and glue to repair it and it will not show at all.

Then came all the sanding.  Like the dresser, I could not use the palm sander very often.  So mostly, I wore out my fingers, hands, arms.... back, shoulders...   But I love sanding!  It's therapeutic for me.  There is nothing like getting covered in wood dust, (mask and safety glasses in place), sweating in the 98 - 105 degree temperatures we have been having, and dealing with the smoke in the air from nearby forest fires.  Pretty sure our poor little state is burning up!  Then to go in the house when it is too dark to see anymore, showering it all off, taking Aleve and sleeping soundly thru the night.  Waking is painful...sore shoulders, fingers, hands! 

Then there are the different pieces of veneer all over this thing.  Grains going all different ways....


But  I always had my helpers.... and Gordon Lightfoot on the MP3.
So, I got it all sanded and began the stain and acrylic.

And here is that patch on the one side where the veneer pulled off:

And, as I said, it would be covered by the middle section. Which reminds me, I have to replace the veneer on the middle section or "repair" what is there


Hmmmmmm...... Gonna look for new veneer. I hear it is expensive.  I show my husband. and tell him my possible plans.  If all else fails, I can make a cushion for it and it becomes a little bench.  Not really practical with a mirror behind it, but oh well.  He makes a few calls (Between growing up around here and knowing everyone thru sports, his social personality, AND the fact he's an electrician so knows people who work with wood, this man can find anything).  He tells me to take a piece to his dad.  Seems he has a cousin who does cabinets.  Less than a week later, my dear father-in-law appears with a large sheet of walnut veneer.  He's so cool!  He even offered to take the whole thing to his cousin and have him professionally glue it.  BUT, being that "I can do it myself" girl.... I did:


I am pretty pleased.  It could have been better.  There are some small little bubbles that my husband thinks are unacceptable, but I am ok with it.  Now that all the acryllic is dry, I need to put it together.  Wish me luck!









No comments:

Post a Comment